January 02, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Resolve To Read in 2013


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created and hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Every week they post a Top Ten list that they answer and invite every blogger to share their own answers.

This week's Top Ten Tuesday is about books we resolve to read in 2013. So, today I went to my Goodreads account and asked myself which books I'd like to read, in 2013, from my TBR list, which consists of 209 books currently and is growing perpetually... I also recognised that I had fallen far behind with my reading for the Classics Clubs challenge and something must be done about that... And, here are the results of my reflection, i.e. here are the Top Ten Books I Resolve To Read in 2013.


  1. Fadette by George Sand
  2. This is such a lovely book! It's about love, witches, about how to raise twins, and about how to survive unrequited love. I read it many years ago in Hungarian and have actually started to read it in English. (My French isn't that good, regrettably...) It is also on my list for the Classics Club Challenge.

  3. What Matters in Jane Austen? by John Mullan
  4. This is a non-fiction about Jane Austen's works and was a birthday present. To be honest, I very seldom read literary criticism. I somehow have this idea in my mind that the beauty of a novel and the pleasure of reading it is being lost to those who are reading the novel from a critical point of view. That's why I've never considered the idea to study literature. Anyway, a good friend of mine, who is actually doing research on literature and is also a Janeite, presented me with this book and I've started reading it in September 2012. The book isn't that bad at all; not that dry that theoretical works usually are. Nevertheless, I wasn't able to finish it yet. Let's hope I will tackle it soon, because I don't want to abandon it.

  5. The Help by Kathryn Stockett
  6. I've desperately wanted to read this book since I saw the movie, but I simply hadn't any time due to all the other books on my TBR list for 2012. But now, I can't wait anymore...

  7. A Conspiracy Of Friends: A Corduroy Mansions Novel by Alexander McCall Smith
  8. This is the third and final part of a series, which I've enjoyed reading in 2012. Do you know and love the movie Love Actually (2003)? The concept of the Corduroy Mansions series is very similar; there are many characters living in Corduroy Mansions and their lives are, in some way or another, connected. And, somebody has a very special dog (Freddie de la Hay) that embarks on interesting adventures. So, if you love dogs, England, and human stories, do read this series.

  9. The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer
  10. I love the Regency Era. Full Stop. The fashion, the literature, the architecture, the arts. Everything. And, of course, I am a Janeite. But, I shiver at the very thought of reading any prequel or sequel to any novel by Jane. So, I was searching for something I could read after Austen and The Grand Sophy was so highly recommended by kindred spirits that it must be worthy of attention.

  11. Love the One You're With by Emily Giffin
  12. I am a fan of good chick-lit in general and Giffin in particular. I also am one of those few people who were able to sympathise with both Rachel and Darcy and didn't feel any hatred towards any of these characters. This novel is new to me, but the story seems very gripping.

  13. The Guernsey Literary And Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer
  14. This novel got very controversial reviews on Goodreads; maybe that's why I want to read it that much. On the other hand, both Hannah from So Obsessed With and Wallace from Unputdownables gave this book 5 stars, and I have trust in their taste.

  15. Persuasion by Jane Austen
  16. The first time I read Persuasion, I didn't like it. However, since then, much has happened in my life and I believe that I will understand Anne Elliot's feelings and story better now. Sometimes love doesn't comes that easily... And, I have also been keen re-reading this novel, since I saw The Lake House (2006). Persuasion is the favourite novel of Sandra Bullock's character, and there's a scene in which she explains the charm and moral of this story so well that it truly made me want to refresh my memories.

  17. The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins
  18. I am no fan of science fiction. Actually, I've never read any science fiction. Upon reading The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler, however, I started to get a bit uncomfortable with this fact. So, I decided that it's about time to have my first sci-fi experience. As this series got very good reviews even from other romantic hearts like mine, it has been chosen...

  19. Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
  20. I know, I know. Shame on me. But, please understand that I am a nonconformist at heart; hence, I rarely read books surrounded by hype. But Hannah convinced me that this series worth reading anyway. (And yes, I know, I am cheating again, as these are 7 books.)

4 comments:

  1. Well looks like you have some great books for 2013. Especially if you start with #9 and #10 ;)
    Good luck with the classics too. I need to start reading a bunch that have been on my TBR list,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenna, thanks for your comment! I'm always happy to welcome kindred spirits to my blog. You are probably right, there is no reason to fear reading Harry Potter and the Hunger Games. :-D I wish you luck with your TBR too! Happy New Reading Year!

      Delete
  2. I absolutely loved The Hunger Games! It's actually what got me into deep reading nonstop. I really loved Harry Potter too. I'm hoping to read them again this year. :)

    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Krystianna (what an unusual albeit superb spelling for your name...), thanks for stopping by! Now, I'm almost sure that I won't be disappointed by those two series. :-D

      Delete

Review: Rebecca

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier My rating: 3 of 5 stars It isn’t easy to review this book. I have been a lo...